Start Date: 7/16/2021 8:00 AM EDT
End Date: 7/18/2021 3:30 PM EDT
Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy
To register, please visit our Education Center.
To learn more about the Clinical Competency Certificiate, please visit this webpage.
Participants at this 3 day course will experience hands-on training to integrate skills and knowledge learned from the online modules of the ATPA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Certificate of Clinical Competency Series. Emphasis will be placed on handling techniques to give the participant confidence to apply their knowledge to a wide base of treatment applications. Participants will be challenged to maximize the effectiveness of their treatments utilizing the unique properties of water and pool equipment. A variety of aquatic therapy techniques will be demonstrated and multiple case studies will aid the learner in understanding the aquatic therapy continuum from evaluation to discharge to wellness. Participants can expect to be in the pool for the majority of the course and will be tested on their handling skills as well as integration of online and pool course material.
Pool Course Objectives
1. Apply critical thinking to evidence based practice to support the need for aquatic physical therapy intervention.
2. Recognize and respond to potential challenges prior to pool entry for specific patient populations.
3. Appropriately select pool equipment best suited for patient treatment goals.
4. Demonstrate the ability to logically progress exercise in the water.
5. Confidently handle patients of all types in the water in all depths and all positions.
6. Apply clinical interventions for gait and balance training in the water.
7. Integrate aquatic techniques for maximizing muscle performance during aquatic physical therapy treatments.
8. Demonstrate modifications to address possible sensory integration challenges when in aquatic treatment session.
9. Develop and integrate individualized cardiovascular techniques based on patient’s needs.
10. Demonstrate basic understanding of Halliwick, Bad Ragaz Ring Method, Watsu, Ai Chi, AquaStretch, Aqua Yoga and Burdenko Method.